Hello World!
But seriously, welcome to my new blog, Paperback Project 2011. This year, I got tired of making the same old New Year's resolutions like "eat healthier" or "be more confident" or stuff like that. They are cliched, unoriginal and, quite honestly, never going to happen. Instead, I decided to do this. Every month, I am going to write about two books that I read: one will be a literary classic, and one will be a stupid teenage romance young adult fiction book (my weakness). I'm doing this in an effort to broaden my taste in literature. I want to read truly classic fiction, and I figure this blog is my incentive to actually read it. I don't know if anybody will ever read this, and that's okay. But i hope you do!
So, down to business.
Book One: A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce
I think that James Joyce is an incredibly tough writer to read. His sentences, though beautifully created, are rather complex. I enjoyed this book very much, but its stream of conciousness factor constantly reminded me of Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. I'm a fan of that book, so reading Portrait was a refreshing and enjoyable experience. Being inside Stephen's head offered and interesting take on Ireland during those times.
Book Two: Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell
I absolutely loved this book. At the beginning Vassar Spore (the novel's protaganist) completely drove me insane. She was SO goody goody that I wanted to punch her in the face. literally. But what made this novel so fabulous was the setting. Set in Southeast Asia, Cornwell beautifully describes the scenery in ways that just draws a reader in. Everything about this novel worked, and I just could not put it down. Of course, the comedic cowboy Hanks really made the story. A definite must read for any girl who loves a classic love story/ finding yourself story. I loved it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment